This guide is being developed to help people install, setup and run their own WordPress website. If you are not comfortable installing WordPress I can help you with that.
Buy a CPanel Domain -> Install WordPress -> Install a Theme -> Built a Structure – > Add Your Content -> Extend the Site.
Technical Background and Prerequisites
Don’t be put off by the early technical stuff, once WordPress is installed it gets a whole lot easier.
What is WordPress
WordPress is a free open source Content Management System (CMS) that you can download for free from https://wordpress.org. Alternatively if you don’t want to self host WordPress you can pay https://wordpress.com to create a WordPress Hosting account and site for you. I prefer to self host WordPress (on your own domain) as you have more control and features when compared to hosting on https://wordpress.com.
Installing WordPress onto an online server or local pc?
You can install WordPress onto a web server on the internet or you can install it into your local PC (Mac, Windows or Linux).
- Choosing a web host – What features do you have with your hosting plan?
- PHP – PHP is a popular general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited to web development.
- MySQL – The world’s second most widely used relational database management system
- FTP – The File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is a standard network protocol used to transfer computer files from one host to another host over a TCP-based networ
- CPanel – cPanel provides front-ends for a number of common web applications.
- CPanel Overview
Installing WordPress and pre requisites onto a local development host (Skip this if you do not need to develop locally).
- Replicating a Web Server environment – Allow’s you to develop upcoming versions of websites secretly and offline.
- Installing XAMPP on Mac OSX
- Installing XAMPP on Window
- Installing XAMPP on Linux
Using XAMPP on your local PC (Skip this if you do not need to develop locally).
- Using XAMPP on Mac OSX
- Using XAMPP on Windows
- Using XAMPP on Linux
- Downloading WordPress
- Creating a Database and Database Users online on a CPanel host
- Creating a Database and Database Users locally with XAMPP
- Updating WordPress Config
- Installing WordPress
- User Accounts
- First Backup
- Choose your theme first (as the starter template may need to be installed over a blank database)
- Essential WordPress Plugins
- Second Backup
- Choose and install your theme first
- WordPress Basics
- Pages and Posts
- Now the hard part, actually building your site
- Third Backup
- Get Feedback from customers and experts
- Test your site on multiple browsers and devices
- Benchmark your site to find large files
- Add feedback forms
- Connect your WordPress site to the mobile WordPress app
- Checking Google Analytics Stats
- Checking MailChimp
- Writing Posts
- Sending Newsletters
- Updating WordPress
- Checking for Hackers
- Monitoring Site Performance
You can donate to have a guide updated or expanded:
Easily deploy an SSD cloud server on @DigitalOcean in 55 seconds. Sign up using my link and receive $10 in credit: https://wwww.digitalocean.com
Ask a question or recommend an article