What are your strengths and weaknesses? Are you avoiding doing something because of your personality type or focusing on something else?
I thought this post would be helpful to a number of people as the Technology industry is filled with endless new frameworks and activities that require grit and focus. Sites like Udemy, Lynda.com, Pluralsight and others allow you to learn new technology but this might all be for nought if you can’t communicate well. Skills, education and experience are acquired but we use our personality daily to communicate and interact. Some say you cannot change your personality but knowing your personality type can help you interact or develop applications better. Knowing your personality type can help you interact better with family, friends, clients and colleagues.
It is important how you interact with people and personalities is part of it (along with age, sex, religion, rapport, trust etc).
View the 16 Personality Types https://www.16personalities.com/personality-types (ISTJ, ISFJ, INFJ, INTJ, ISTP, ISFP, INFP, INTP, ESTP, ESFP, ENFP, ENTP, ESTJ, ESFJ, ENFJ, ENTJ).
Read about the background of the personality types on 16 personalities here.
The Myers and Briggs Foundation have a good breakdown on the 16 personality types.
Take a Personality Test
https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test is a good site that allows you to take a 30min quiz and show your personality. I have tested myself, family and kids and it is bang on. Take the test here.
How to use the test results
- How to talk and listen at work
- How to talk with family
- How to talk to children
- How to talk to spouses.
- How to understand your self and family better.
My Personality Type
I am an INTJ-T and proud of it. Here is a breakdown of my personality type https://www.16personalities.com/intj-personality
- “Innovative inventors with an unquenchable thirst for knowledge.” (snip from 16personalities.com).
- “The INTP personality type is fairly rare, making up only three per cent of the population, which is definitely a good thing for them, as there’s nothing they’d be more unhappy about than being “common”. INTPs pride themselves on their inventiveness and creativity, their unique perspective and vigorous intellect. Usually known as the philosopher, the architect, or the dreamy professor, INTPs have been responsible for many scientific discoveries throughout history.” (snip from 16personalities.com).
- INTPs are known for their brilliant theories and unrelenting logic – in fact, they are considered the most logically precise of all the personality types (snip from 16personalities.com).
My supposed personality strengths are..
- Quick, Imaginative and Strategic Mind
- High Self-Confidence
- Independent and Decisive
- Hard-working and determined
My supposed personality weaknesses are..
- Very Private and Withdrawn
- Loathe Rules and Guidelines
- Second-Guess Themselves
Natural Reaction to my personality types
My natural reaction is to accept my strengths and reject my weaknesses but knowing your weaknesses can help you plan better or improve skills or interactions.
What is normal?
JPSears talking about what is normal..
I am not a motivator so I will encourage you to read (or listen to) the books The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday , Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday and Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Angela Duckworth (Thanks, Zach) if you want to self-improve.
Snip from (Wikipedia) “Personality is a set of individual differences that are affected by the development of an individual: values, attitudes, personal memories, social relationships, habits, and skills. Different personality theorists present their own definitions of the word based on their theoretical positions. The term “personality trait” refers to enduring personal characteristics that are revealed in a particular pattern of behaviour in a variety of situations.”
Who are you, really? The puzzle of personality | Brian Little is a good video on who we are and how we interact.
Psychology Dimensions = (Openness, Continuous, Extroversion, Agreeably, Neuroticism) = Wellbeing.
Here is a great video on being understood (great for INTP-T’s).
Snip (from Wikipedia): Personality also refers to the pattern of thoughts, feelings, social adjustments, and behaviours consistently exhibited over time that strongly influences one’s expectations, self-perceptions, values, and attitudes. It also predicts human reactions to other people, problems, and stress. Knowing your personality type can allow you to use on your strength and focus on your weaknesses.
Alan Watts Psychology of Consciousness HQ talks about the evolution of psychology and applications and shallowness.
What is Psychology? (Snip from Wikipedia ).”Carl Gustav Jung was a Swiss psychiatrist and psychoanalyst who founded analytical psychology. His work has been influential not only in psychiatry but also in anthropology, archaeology, literature, philosophy, and religious studies.”
Direction and focus with SWOT Analysis technique.
- Work to your strengths.
- Plan around your weaknesses (use tools to plan better or don’t endlessly research solutions and not deliver).
- Know other peoples personality (if they agree)..
- Consider doing a SWOT Analysis with projects (or yourself).
Donate and make this blog better