No matter what server-provider you are using I strongly recommend you have a hot spare ready on a different provider
If you have not read my previous posts I have now moved my blog to the awesome UpCloud host (signup using this link to get $25 free UpCloud VM credit). I compared Digital Ocean, Vultr and UpCloud Disk IO here and UpCloud came out on top by a long way (read the blog post here). Here is my blog post on moving from Vultr to UpCloud.
Buy a domain name here
Now on with the post.
I recently had an issue where I set up a website for a friend. I invested 6 hours into setting up..
- Debian OS
- NGINX Web Server
- MySQL Database
- PHP 7.2
- PHP-FPM Child Workers
- HTTPS Certificate
- Security (Firewall/Headers/SSH, WordPress, Plugins etc).
- Installed WordPress and Plugins
- Setup DNSSEC
I had tested GTMetrix scores = less than 1 second. Security headers were tested and I was happy with the site.
The server and backups were automatically deleted after 7 days while I was away from my keyboard because I assumed the account was valid and had credits.
- Always have a backup (of the server, setup/ www, MySQL etc).
- Script setups (Ansible, Puppet or Scripts) to sate time redeploying if need be.
- Backups are not always available.
- Do have setup documented (Check)
- Do have a disaster plan
Why Plan for the Worst
- Companies disappear.
- Some hosts go down.
- Some hosts have weird trial modes and internal process that could take your site down.
- Human error?
- Murphy’s Law
How I will prevent this in future
- I am building a Java desktop app for Windows/OSX/Linux app that will deploy and set up on UpCloud/Vultr/Digital Ocean providers and allow for 1 click deploy and backup and restore.
- I am going to re-establish replication between servers with RSync etc.
- I am going to start to automate installs and environments.
- I am going to set up a hot (ready to go) Green/Blue mirrored environments (www and DB server) on different providers in case of emergency. Then I can set the active live servers with DNS (blog posts soon).
- Consider a server farm (same provider or different providers)
I hope this guide helps someone.
Please consider using my referral code and get $25 UpCloud VM credit if you need to create a server online.
Ask a question or recommend an article[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
v1.0 Initial Post