Buying a Domain
Buy a domain name from Namecheap here.
I deployed an Ubuntu server in NY for $2.5 a month on Vultr (I chose NY over Sydney as the Sydney $2.5 servers were sold out)
I then signed up for Runcloud.
I opened up port 80, 443 and 34210 as recommended by runcloud.
I then connected to my Vultr server with Runcloud.
Then Runcloud asked that I run a script on the server as root.
Tip: Don’t run the script on a different IP like I did.
It appears I accidentally ran the Runcloud install command on the wrong IP, what did it install/change? I looked to see if Runcloud offer an uninstallation command? nope.
Snip from runcloud.
Deleting Your Server Deleting your server from RunCloud is permanent. You can’t reconnect it back after you have deleted your server. The only way to reconnect is to format your server and run the RunCloud’s installation again. To completely uninstall RunCloud, you must reformat your server. We don’t have any uninstallation script (yet).
Time to check out RunCLoud IDE at https://manage.runcloud.io to see what it looks like.
View Server Configuration
I was able to start a NGINX installation/web server within a few clicks (it installed to /etc/nginx–rc)
- Setup was quick.
- Dashboard looks pretty
- My root access is no longer working (what happened)? I did notice that Fail2Ban was blocking loads of IP’s?
- I can’t seem to edit website files with runcloud.io?
- Limited by UI (I could create a database and database user but now set database user permissions or assign database users to databases (there is a guide but no GUI on adding a user to a DB))
- I have to trust that runcloud have set things up securely.
- CPanel UI has more options that Runcloud IMHO.
- Other free domain managers exist like https://www.phpservermonitor.org
- RunCoud.io RTFM? Seriously (F stands for, are customers really that bad)? https://runcloud.io/rtfm/
I linked a domain to the IP, now I just need to wait before continuing.
End of Guide
I have been locked out of my runcloud managed domain, I will stick to manually setup servers.
Being locked out is good for security I guess 🙁
Donate and make this blog better
Ask a question or recommend an article
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
V1.4 added tags and fixed typos.
v0.31 Domain linked